Wednesday, June 28, 2006

The Prize in the Cereal Box

Today I was getting my husband some Frosted Flakes for breakfast (I don't normally pour his sugary cereal, but remember he's recovering from surgery). They were on sale, and they had a toy from Cars in the box, so I bought two.

Whenever we went to my grandmother's house, she would let us buy a box of cereal. She ate raisin bran every day of her life, but in the cereal cabinet there were all these boxes of cereal that we had bought. Peanut Butter Captain Crunch was one thing that I remember choosing. I think that my sister would often choose something for the prize. Mammaw would pour the cereal out in a big bowl so that we could get the prize right away. Now that's grandmotherly love.

I do remember from a few prizes I've looked for in the recent past, that they were now usually between the cereal and the box, instead of inside the cereal, which really seems to make more sense anyway. Well, today, I opened the box and it was right on top. Talk about immediate gratification. Kids today just don't know how easy they have it.

7 comments:

Nettie said...

I always buy cereal in the big bags. No prizes. Now I'm wondering if I am depriving my children. I, too, have great memories of cereal box prizes. And cracker jack ones. Have you seen them lately? Either it takes a lot more to excite me than it used to, or they have gotten lame-o!

Katrina said...

Prizes in cereal boxes bring back fond memories for me, too. And you're right - kids have it easy. I say - put the prizes back at the bottom of the box. :)

fivetimemom said...

I use marbles too. Only the kids earn marbles by taking care of their responsilities (clean room, study, bath, brush teeth etc.) they can earn up to five marbles a day.
The marbles are then used as currency, 2 marbles for computer time, 1 marble for a soda (only allowed 1 soda a day) plus we have a goody box for them to shop at. It works great for us, plus helps the kids to learn the value of things...qsrb

The Queen Mama said...

Mmmmm...Frosted Flakes. Now I'm hungry. My mom would NEVER let us dig through the cereal boxes for the prizes. Didn't keep us from tryin' when she wasn't lookin', though.

The Constant Gardener said...

My kids haven't discovered the joy of toys in cereal boxes yet...one of the joys of childhood. I think digging through the bag is like a rite of passage, albeit unsanitary!

Crystal Breeze said...

I collecting cut out cereal box coupons for Dairy Queen. It was always my favorite cereal if it had a coupon for Dairy Queen on it top.

sarah said...

We barely ever were allowed to get the cereals with prizes - but when we did it was a huge treat. Honestly, I was usually a little disappointed with the quality of the toy, but I never admitted it for fear that I'd never get to have sugary cereal again.