Sunday, October 22, 2006

Well, Since You Asked. . . .

Well, I guess technically, I asked you to ask me some questions. Thanks to all of you for your sweet birthday wishes and the one word that you each chose to describe me. I think that some of you put your finger on something that I might not readily identify myself as, but I suppose that each is accurate in its own way. A big thanks to Barb for suggesting that everyone do it, because she's right, what a rush. In fact, I also challenge each of you to do it, especially those who asked me these questions, and left me comments. Consider yourself tagged.

So, here are the answers:

What is something you've learned in your 30s you wish you'd have known in your 20s?

I love this question! Maturity (or years of experience or whatever) has mellowed me, to an extent. As I said in my post on what I loved about being 35,"there are times I should keep my mouth shut." I have learned that I am not always right, I do not always have to share everything that I know, and even if I am right, I do not always have to have the last word! I have not perfected this art of keeping my mouth shut, but I'm much better about it than I was when I was younger. I hope that maturity will continue softening the edges around me and helping me to put others' needs before my own.

Why did you start blogging?

I started blogging because I had decided that I wanted to rekindle my desire to write. I know that discipline is a huge part of writing, and that the more one writes, the better one writes. I was not even a blog reader when I started mine, so all of that was a pleasant surprise to me. So, I continue to enjoy honing my writing skills, but I also love the interaction, both here at my blog and at other blogs I visit.

If you were a children's book, which one would you be?

The first thought that came to my brain was The Very Hungry caterpillar, ha ha ha. But then I thought of the books that we really enjoy around here, and I decided that Sandra Boynton's Oh My, Oh My, Oh Dinosaurs! because I think it just describes life, "Dinosaurs happy, dinosaurs sad. Dinosaurs good and dinosaurs bad" (Kyle likes the bad paint splattered dinosaurs). And I especially like how at the end they are "looking back at you, to say goodbye, because we're through," and they are sad to have us go. I am sad to leave when I finish a good book. I am sad to say goodbye sometimes, too, but I enjoy the range of everything--good and bad, happy and sad, plump and lean, early and later. . . .

If you had to choose one author to read for the rest of your life, who would it be?

I won't take the cop-out answer and say, God. I really don't know, though. Jan Karon's Mitford books really touch me, and are ones I have read over and over again, but I'm not sure she's prolific enough for me to choose her. I might want someone with lots and lots of books that I can enjoy and mull over. I really don't pick "favorites" as far as authors etc, so I would have to think it through logically. How about Madeleine L'Engle? I still haven't even read everything she's written, but if I chose her, I'd have her fiction, of which I've read three or four, and really liked, plus some nonfiction, and the Wrinkle in Time series.

What one time as a parent do you wish you had as a "do-over?"

Well, there was that time that I yelled at Amanda in a really ugly voice, and I saw her sadness right there. Oh, wait, I forgot about the time that I was so frustrated and impatient that I yelled really loud at her as she was getting ready for bed, and we had company downstairs. Maybe the time that I practically pushed her out of the car because she was dawdling. Many events, same do-over. I wish I could take back the words. I can't, but I keep trying to keep them in instead.

You live in Connecticut. Are you a native or a transplant? Are you a born and bred New Englander?

Nope. I'm a Texan (not by birth, but as we say, I got there as quickly as I could!). We have lived here for two years and love it.

Have you been to the Danbury Fair Mall and did you ride the carousel--top or bottom?


Yes, I sort of live in the Danbury area, so I have been several times (although I'm not a weekly mall-goer). I just rode the carousel my first time a few months ago. My daughter wanted to ride on the top, and she did, but I was riding with my 2 year old, and he was surprisingly squeamish, so we just sat in one of the big cup things (that didn't spin).

What's your favorite thing about living in Connecticut?

It's beautiful. I love the four seasons, and I love that we can live in a country or small town type environment, yet have good schools and amenities, and like-minded folks around us. Being a big city suburb girl (from Houston), it's just like night and day.

What is your idea of a date, no holds barred, with your hubby?

I can say with glee that I have experienced this date, and hope to again (and again) soon! Since we live away from any of our family, we haven't been able to travel together as much as we did in Houston (a yearly trip together and maybe an overnight or two thrown in). But here we are less than 2 hours from New York City (which we love as well), and we have found a college girl who we love to have babysit overnight. So, a wonderful date that we had recently, and I would love to relive just as is, is to go into New York City, have a casual dinner (we ate at Chipotle, which they have in the City, but we don't have here in CT, and since we love Mexican food, it was perfect). Then we browsed quietly and separately at a bookstore. Then we went over to Broadway to see a show, and spent the night in a hotel. We had breakfast together and then rode the train in, him getting off at his office and me heading back home.

What type of hairspray to you use?

None, really. I buy what's cheap (Suave usually), but I don't use it daily.

Can you share a joke that made you laugh out loud, I mean really guffaw?

Share this one with the kids:

Knock, Knock.

Who's There?

Interrupting Cow.

Interruptin--


MOOO!

What author has inspired you most in your walk with Christ? What person that you know has been your best mentor?


I think that I might have to say Elizabeth George as the author. Her book A Woman After God's Own Heart truly changed my outlook about my role in life. I've read another of her books that I enjoyed, and also read a little Anne Ortland, who she recommended.

As far as a real person, I think that I have to say that the person who most inspires me would be Katrina. She is younger than I am, but so wise in the ways of the Word. She is different from me in many ways, but also very similar. She is one who I can always count on to listen and give me sound godly counsel, and hold me to a standard that I should be keeping. She has shown faithfulness and perseverance in her walk with the Lord and as her role of wife and mom that I strive to emulate.

When are you coming to visit me?

Well, Danielle, since you called me funny, it may be sooner, but my answer to you would be two years ago, and when are you coming to visit me?

9 comments:

Susanne said...

So enjoyed reading your answers to the questions. Lots of fun!

aggiejenn said...

Thanks for answering all the questions! Hope you had a great birthday.

Katrina said...

Well I am honored and blushing. You know that you are an inspiration and encouragement and blessing to me as well - in so many ways! Loved reading all your answers. And that joke made me laugh!

Heather said...

I could learn to pay attention to your first answer.

Magnanimity said...

I'm sort of in the same place as far as God trying to teach me the discipline of a gentle and QUIET spirit (and mouth).

"in quietness and confidence will by your strength."

"Let your gentleness by evidenced by all, the Lord is near."

So much of my frustration, I'm learning, is due, not to the kids disorder, but to mine...running late, not ordered, not ready for them, not "getting them" ready enough. So...plank time. Ugggghhhh. Four days of larangitis (complete and total...even mouthing words really hurt) taught me some lessons I'll never forget about how the world can do without my angry outbursts with my kids...they still keep being kids even with it!

Imagine that!

Anonymous said...

Loved the joke! And reading all the answers to the questions. Hope you celebrated your day in style!

Tammy said...

It was fun reading these answers! :) That is so neat that you have a good sitter and can do an overnight date in NYC!

(And yes, I am back, as of 3am yesterday...from our crazy Hawaiian adventure! Yikes!)

CyberCelt said...

Happy birthday. Happy C&C Monday.

e-Mom said...

This was fun! What a great idea for a post. Thanks for your Moo knock, knock joke. The next person who walks into my office will be the recipient of said joke. :~)