Tuesday, October 28, 2008

The Playlist

Music is awesome. Since I've taken back my radio, I've been reminded exactly how much music can comfort me, change my mood, or get me just plain fired up.

With that in mind, I'm making a "Compassion Playlist" to banish the fears of "What am I thinking?" with some new and old songs that always remind me that I'm not thinking anything. I'm trying to do what God is telling me to do, and if I stick with that mentality, everything will work out just fine. Over at 5 Minutes for Mom, I just posted about how I'm willing to be used to make a difference to Just One. Please check it out.

When I was compiling the list, I was struck with one problem: Most of the songs (all but two) are at least four years old, and some are years older than that. There are a few reasons for that -- as referenced in the "taking back the radio" post, I've sacrificed my musical tastes for peace and quiet in the SUV. I also lost access to new Christian music when we moved here to New England four years ago, leaving a pretty good Christian radio station in Houston. So "new" was buying the new CD of an artist that I already liked, or acting on someone's recommendation. But now I have satellite radio, so Spirit channel 66 is again introducing me to some new music (including Robbie Seay and my son Kyle's favorite song that he began to recognize and call the "Sundown" song, "Song of Hope (Heaven Come Down)" which I've just now had an aha moment that it's Compassion Dude Brian Seay's brother. So -- cool.

But why is having old inspirational songs a problem? Well, other than making me feel even older than my 38 years, and hopelessly uncool, I think that there's a spiritual reason it's a problem. These songs mean something to me, but for the most part they remind me of how God was working in me all those years ago. God doesn't want me to stay on that mountaintop. No matter how high the mountain was, we can't just stay there. Moses didn't stay and keep talking with God. He was sent back down the mountain to give out God's Word (the commandments) to the people. Peter was so excited to be hangin' with Jesus and seeing Him transfigured with God's glory that he wanted to build some tents and keep him and Moses and Elijah right up there on the mountain with him. Biblical record doesn't record a direct response to Peter's rash invitation, but they are all soon headed back down the mountain.

Yes, I have beheld God's glory. He got me through a year in which I lost a baby in my second trimester, my husband was laid off, and a maniac crashed into me on a mountain leading to months of crutches, surgery and more crutches. But that all took place over 9 months in 2002 - 2003.

I need to move beyond the past and recognize His work in my present and look to His future plans for me as well. Yes, I'm still serving Him. Yes, I've heard His call, but I've been waiting for something big to happen again (although, wait -- um, maybe all that "big stuff" wasn't so great).

That's what this trip is about. The 2008 Chris Tomlin and Brandon Heath songs are going to be my stones of remembrance of what God is doing and asking me to do right now, and even though it's the oldest song on the list, Shaun Groves' Should I Tell Them (and the whole Invitation to Eavesdrop CD) meant so much to me back in the early part of this decade. When I pulled it out so that I could properly reacquaint myself with the music that I had remembered speaking to me, I know that it is still alive and well for this time in my life as well.

I made an Compassion and Service iMixiconon itunes of the songs, so you can download one or all if you'd like, or at least listen to the clips.




Do any of these songs pump you up to "let go, and let God" to use a too-often used phrase? Are there any other songs that I should add to remind me of His work in the midst of serving Him?

6 comments:

Katrina said...

Love this post, and you definitely already have some great songs on your playlist. "In Me" by Casting Crowns came to mind as I was reading this post -- definitely a great song to remind us Who is doing the work through us.

MommySecrets said...

Our Chris Tomlin CD gift from you arrived today. We listened to it in the car and we loved it! THANK YOU :)

I smiled when you said that you also like Brandon Heath - he goes to our church and he's a great guy!!

Happy day,

Ann

Dianne said...

That looks great. My pastor puts together an iMix for each new message series - not necessarily what we will sing in church, just stuff he's listening to. I take the time and effort to go get the songs from Amazon since I'm not an iPod or iTunes user, but it is well worth the effort. I also find that making mixes for myself (playlists) is a good way to pay extra attention to what I sense God is speaking to me about.

And you're so right about moving past some music - even favorites - as a way of moving beyond the past and into the present, where God is working now. I am praying for you as you are in your final preparations before the big trip!

Anonymous said...

Hi! I found your blog through the Rocks in My Dryer blog. I'll be praying for you and the others going on the Dominican Republic Trip.

Here are a couple of my favorite songs:

Sara Groves - "I Saw What I Saw" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSdP6PqsbJY)

Sara Groves - "When the Saints"

Relient K - "The Last, The Lost, The Least"

Rebecca St James - "Beautiful Stranger"

Jon Foreman - "Your Love Is Strong"

Andrea @ Mommy Snacks said...

I am so excited for you! God will continue to calm you and show you this is what you're supposed to be doing! How cool is that?!!

Honestly, whenever I get nervous I listen to my songs. God has a way of speaking to me in the music that calms me down.

We have very similar tastes in music! These are a few other faves that are playing on my ipod:

"Everlasting God" by Glenn Packiam and Becca Hamm.

"Hey God" by Richie McDonald

"Hope Now" by Adison Road

"Burn for You" by Toby Mac

"One Life to Love" by 33 Miles

"Whatever You're Doing" by Sanctus Real

"Never Let Go" by David Crowder Band

"Be Still My Soul" by Selah (this is my all-time fave arrangement)

I think that's enough :-) Blessings on your trip!

Lisa writes... said...

Great list! May you find encouragement as you let go and let God!