Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Children's Classics -- A.A. Milne

Recently I got a box of books out of a closet that I had culled from Amanda's room when she was too old for them, yet Kyle wasn't old enough, and found The Complete Tales and Poems of Winnie-the-Pooh. Knowing the theme for this month's carnival, and remembering that I read these to Amanda when she was four or five, I decided to give it a try.

I've written about my four-year-old son's love for all things Thomas, and specifically about the fact that we read through the Complete Collection, story by story. Kyle likes the idea of reading through anthologies, story by story, using a bookmark to keep our place.

What I like about that is it truly exposes the child to stories, not just pictures and rhymes. The text to picture ratio is very similar to the Thomas collection. The page is filled with text and there are one or two small pictures on each page. So mostly he listens, but he also peeks over to see the drawings.

I was reminded that A.A. Milne is pretty sophisticated stuff (and also remembered that though Amanda and I read a lot of it, we didn't finish it). Amanda and Kyle were both present for the reading of "In which we are introduced to Winnie-the-Pooh and some bees and the stories begin," (where Pooh enlists Christopher Robin to help him disguise himself as a raincloud to get the bees' honey), and Kyle in particular laughed in all the right places. So, we'll keep chugging along, and we'll see if it ends up on the Kids' Picks list next week or next month!

To find more readers' thoughts on A.A. Milne, check out 5 Minutes for Books Children's Classics carnival.

5 comments:

Amy @ Hope Is the Word said...

We have that same book! I don't think my oldest daughter got all of it, even at almost five. However, both girls thought these stories were fairly funny at times, and I LOVED them. We'll keep plugging away at them, too!

Carrie said...

That's cool that Kyle likes collections of stories like that!

Re: Milne's sophistication - I know, wow! I was reading the little Storybooks yesterday and thought they were terribly clever. It's easy to see how Wodehouse was an influence.

stephanie@{Olive Tree} said...

My kids also love reading a big book and remembering their spot with a bookmark. (I remember that as a kid, too). Something about that seems very grown up. :)

Bluestocking said...

I had a Pooh crib as a baby!

cindy said...

I agree with you about the sophisticated humor. I thought the same thing!

My son loved all the Thomas stories too!