Sunday, December 11, 2011

Under 35? Listen up! Over 35? Commiserate!

This is not really the season to be discussing this, but I feel I must. In spite of the fact that all of you are going around guzzling eggnog* and eating fudge and pie and hor d'oerves, there's something that must be said.

It's all uphill after 35.

If you have 5 (or 10 or 20) pounds to lose and you are lucky to have the metabolism of someone in her early 30's, buckle down and shed those pounds now, because if your body is anything like mine, the pounds will come on more easily and they will not come off.

I had Kyle when I was 33. A couple of months after he was born, I buckled down and lost the weight. In fact, I think that at some point after I was as small as I've ever been. But something happened a few years later. Pounds crept back on and the scale inched towards its all-time high.  I would have a week or two of concerted good eating and exercise -- and . . . .

That's right -- nothing.  Or very little anyway. It's frustrating.

Last spring was the worst. Those of you older than me can tell me if I can expect it to keep on getting worse, but I was 40 years old, I was doing a very intense workout and was dedicated to doing it 4 times a week. I did it for two months straight. I also watched what I ate, but I wasn't majorly cutting calories. However, the net loss was approximately nothing. Talk about discouraging!!

This is a public service announcement. If you are under 35, it's not too late, but it might be soon!!  Lose weight now while you can!! The alternative is that you can just buy some bigger jeans and bras and learn to live with the new you.

I'm not giving up yet, and when I started tracking my eating last month, I realized that my "occasional" splurges were probably more regular, so that could be more at fault than I reckoned last Spring.

*Kyle loves the stuff, and at Thanksgiving I bought him some pumpkin eggnog, but I happened to look at the calories for a 4 ounce serving -- yes half a cup -- and my first sip was my last.

6 comments:

Martha said...

I have been able to keep my weight about the same since my 30s BUT I am noticing that things are not as tight as they used to be. I truly do not have the motivation (and never have) to do toning exercises. I am thinking about some changes in the new year. Let's see what happens.

morninglight mama said...

Just turned 36. Still haven't lost all the weight from my first pregnancy.

You know, the one 11 years ago. :)

Carrie said...

Yeah, I'm already there. Buckling down. Trying hard to get back to the pre-first pregnancy weight.=P

Lauren said...

Well, I can tell you how to lose it. Don't eat any grains, starches, sugar or dairy. I'm trying to heal from all my issues, and the side effect has been a 20+ pound weight loss. Of course, I don't eat anything fun. Maybe I would rather be fat. :)

Stephanie said...

So true!! I turned 37 last month and have gained at least 5 pounds since the holiday season started. I say at least because I haven't actually got on a scale but all my clothes have gotten very tight this month! Come January I'm back to eating healthy food and exercising! :)

Katrina @ Callapidder Days said...

38, and struggling. But I *know* that if I could just be more self-controlled with my eating, I would make more progress. Ugh. Got an elliptical for Christmas, so here's hoping I can be consistent with that at least...